- Departments and Contacts
- Contact Us
- Sex Offenders
- Most Wanted
**Colorado State Law mandates that all Sheriff’s Offices within the State must maintain a Civil Division. The Civil Division is responsible for the service of all civil papers received by the Sheriff’s Office. The Civil Division also executes all court orders involving civil process issued by the Courts. The Civil Division is comprised of the Administrative Department and the Patrol Division**
Please provide a cover letter detailing the following (the more details you provide to our office the better the chances are for successful service):
1. Be specific about the name of the person or persons being served.
2. Provide a physical address where the individual can be located.
3. The court case number.
4. The service expiration date (date by which the papers have to be served).
5. Any specific rules of service for your jurisdiction (i.e.: sub-service, posting, etc.)
6. Make sure that your return address is on the cover letter so that we may mail the Return of Service back to you once it has been completed.
7. State whether or not the Return of Service should be notarized (an additional fee of $2.00 will be charged for this service).
The Montezuma County Sheriff’s Office can not guarantee service. Please call (970) 564-4987 if you have questions. FAX 970-565-3731
Restraining Orders take priority over all other types of service. This is due to the potential for injury related to these situations.
Restitution / Evictions are the second highest priority of the Civil Division. These court orders are time sensitive and have to be scheduled before they can be executed.
In addition to serving civil papers, the Civil Division is also required to seize both real and personal property. The property seized may be either returned to the owner or sold at a Sheriff’s Sale in order to satisfy the judgment of the court.
Writ of Restitution
If you have any questions regarding the Civil Division, feel free to call (970) 564-4987
Rebecca Quinonez, Admistrative Assistant
Montezuma County Sheriff's Office
730 East Driscoll Street
Cortez, CO 81321
FAX (970) 565-3731
FAX Jail - 970-565-4348 Admin - 970-565-3731
730 E Driscoll Street
Cortez, CO 81321